Hydrangeas are a very common flower. They are some of the most well-known decorations in any context, but especially weddings. In this article we will explain why hydrangeas are such a popular wedding flower. And, we will give you ideas on how to use them for your wedding and beyond. So, if you want to learn more about hydrangeas and their many uses, read on. This article is for you.
All about hydrangeas
Hydrangea is actually the name of a genus of flowers. There are about one hundred species of hydrangeas in the world. Most hydrangeas are native to southeastern Asia and the Americas. All hydrangeas are distinctive because of their huge bunches of smallish flowers. Most hydrangeas you will find have five or nine-inch heads.
There are three main types of hydrangeas: mophead, panicle, and lacecap. Mophead hydrangeas are the most common. These are the flower bunches that are in a globe shape. Panicle hydrangeas have a cone-shaped flower bunch. And, lacecap hydrangeas have a flatten bunch of tiny buds and petals. All of the bulk hydrangeas at Wholesale Flowers are of the mophead variety.
Hydrangeas were first discovered and cultivated in ancient Japan. However, there are hydrangea fossils that are 40-65 million years old from North and South America. Hydrangeas didn’t come to Europe until the 18th century. This is an inedible type of flower because the petals contain tiny amounts of cyanide. But, they are extremely popular as both a decoration and a landscaping flower.
Why hydrangeas are popular wedding flowers
These large flower clusters are an extremely popular wedding flower for many reasons. We’ve listed the top reasons to consider hydrangeas for your wedding below.
- As any bride and groom know, weddings are expensive. Even if you are planning on doing your wedding DIY, you still have a lot of costs. Because hydrangeas are so large, they are extremely cost-effective, especially if you buy them in bulk from a great online retailer like Wholesale Flowers.
- Hydrangeas come in a wide variety of colors, both natural and unnatural. Let’s begin with natural colors. There are dozens of hydrangea colors available. At Wholesale Flowers, we offer an assortment, antique green, blue, green kiwi, lavender select, light blue, pink select, purple select, red antique, and white.
In addition to the natural colors, hydrangeas lend themselves to being airbrushed. Green or white hydrangeas are used for this process. Thus, an infinite number of other color combinations are possible. At Wholesale Flowers we offer antique silver, black, California blue, California magenta, California orange, celeste green, celeste lilac, celeste purple, coral antique, green, hot pink, kiwi coral, light blue, light green antique, light pink, light yellow, magenta, metallic aqua, metallic black, metallic blue, metallic green, metallic orange, morazul, Nevada blach, Nevada green tall, Nevada hot pink, Nevada lilac, orange “Curasao,” purple, red, vintage purple, yellow, yellow “Brazil,” and yellow/white as our airbrushed hydrangea colors. Clearly, you can find the hydrangea that will fit your wedding’s color scheme without any problem.
- Hydrangeas come in a couple of different sizes. There are five or nine-inch flower clusters. Plus, mini green hydrangeas are also available if you want a major size difference in your flower arrangements.
- Hydrangeas symbolize beauty and grace, which makes them a great wedding flower. They also represent gratitude, another good meaning to insert in a wedding. So, if you are someone who cares about flower’s meanings, the hydrangea lends itself to wedding sentiments.
- You can use hydrangeas by themselves or with other flowers. This versatility also makes them extremely popular for weddings. Plus, because they are a larger flower, you don’t need many others to make up a great bouquet or centerpiece, again lower the cost of your wedding.
How to use hydrangeas in a wedding
Hydrangeas can be used in weddings in a number of ways. The most common is obviously centerpieces and bouquets, but you will find them many other places as well. Below we’ve listed seven ideas for how to use hydrangeas at your wedding.
- Color matching bouquets for the bride or bridal party work very well. For example, you could pair pink hydrangeas with pink roses and green pittosporum variegated for a full, classic bouquet. Another great and sophisticated wedding bouquet idea is to use white hydrangeas with white roses and greenery.
- Hydrangeas make a full centerpiece when used in bunches of three or four. Because of the color options, you could include three or four complimenting colors in the centerpiece, which will add interest and brightness to any reception table. Wholesale Flowers’ assorted hydrangeas would be a great choice for this suggestion.
- Mini green hydrangeas used as boutonnieres. You can also cut down the large hydrangea bunches for this purpose but be careful that each of the boutonnieres is the same size.
- You can use the large hydrangea flowers as a table runner instead of a centerpiece. All you have to do is attach them to the runner. Any color will work for this purpose but adding some contrast with multi-colored hydrangeas or greenery would be best.
- Use full hydrangea bunches or just the smaller flowers on your wedding cake. Often hydrangeas are used to decorate in between the layers of the cake. Just remember that hydrangeas are not edible and should be removed before eating.
- Hydrangeas lend themselves to being used in wreaths. For this purpose, you can either use floral wire or foam. What’s great about hydrangeas in wreaths is that they make those decorations extremely full and noticeable. For weddings, heart-shaped wreaths are, of course, the most popular. But, you could put hydrangeas into wreaths of any design.
- No matter where you hold your wedding ceremony, you can incorporate hydrangeas into the You can use single stems by themselves or in a container like a mason jar for an aisle decoration. You can also use hydrangeas to fill out a wedding arch. For these decorations, we recommend choosing a hydrangea color that matches the color scheme of your wedding.
Other uses for hydrangeas outside of a wedding
Hydrangeas are not just perfect for weddings. They have a wide variety of uses in the home and for almost any event. Because of their cost-effectiveness and versatility, try incorporating hydrangeas into your next event. Here are a couple of ways to do just that.
- Hydrangeas work great in any type of flower arrangement for any event. You don’t just have to use them for weddings. In fact, they work perfectly by themselves in a vase in your home. But, just as with weddings, you can dress them up by adding other types of flowers or greenery. Plus, remember that the container you choose goes a long way towards indicating the event’s atmosphere.
- Additionally, hydrangeas lend themselves to any type of
How to store hydrangeas before your wedding
Storing hydrangeas is an important part of keeping them looking great for your wedding. These are not long-lasting flowers. In fact, hydrangeas are prone to wilting quickly after they are cut. Take the following precautions to make sure that your hydrangeas continue to look great on your big day.
- Make sure your hydrangeas are delivered one to two days before the wedding. This gives them time to rehydrate but is soon enough that they will not wilt.
- Hydrangeas are another flower that loves water. Make sure to recut the stem on a diagonal right after you receive the hydrangea. Then keep them in water until the wedding. Keep an eye on the water levels.
- If some of your hydrangeas do wilt, don’t panic. Just place them in recently boiling water for thirty seconds. Then put them back in their normal water and watch the water levels. This will help recolor the wilted flowers.
- Using a hydrangea preservative can help keep the flowers fresh as well. You can purchase some at a florist, but the easiest answer is to make your own.
- When you are ready to use the hydrangea, the flower cluster may be very heavy. To support it you can use florist tape and chicken wire or a wooden stick for extra stem support.
Other popular wedding flowers
As we mentioned above, hydrangeas are not the only popular wedding flower. You will probably want to use them to add interest to arrangements, centerpieces, or bouquets. But, most people do not plan their wedding flowers solely as hydrangeas. Here are a few other popular wedding flowers that will work perfectly with the hydrangeas you have already purchased in bulk from Wholesale Flowers.
- Roses: By far the number one most popular wedding flower ever, the rose is usually at the top of every list. You get the best deal by buying roses in bulk for your wedding. These versatile and classic flowers can be used to add an element of romance to the day. For some weddings, you may want to use roses in addition to another flower in order to modernize the atmosphere.
- Calla Lilies: Speaking of modern flowers, calla lilies—both standard size and mini—are elegant and modern. These amazing flowers have a bell shape and will work well in almost any arrangement.
- Orchids: Orchids are a little bit larger but can add a big burst of color into your wedding. These flowers are a classic choice for bouquets. You can also use them as centerpieces.
- Lilies: Lilies are another large flower that can dominate the wedding if not used judiciously. However, they make unusual and striking bouquets. For spring weddings, you really can’t beat the lily.
- Baby’s breath: Yes, these are flowers too. One of the most classic filler flowers, baby’s breath is a great choice for adding white and contrast into any wedding decoration. Wholesale Flowers offers two types of baby’s breath: Gyp million stars and Gyp new love.
Why Wholesale Flowers’ hydrangeas are the best
Here at Wholesale Flowers, we can provide any of the flowers you need for your wedding. Yet, you will especially want to consider Wholesale Flowers for bulk hydrangea purchases. Not only do we have a huge variety of colors—as described in detail above—but you also cannot beat our prices.
When you purchase bulk hydrangeas from Wholesale Flowers you get a lot of options. Our airbrushed hydrangeas come twelve stems per box. The price per stem is $6.90 and you will get a vase life of approximately one to two weeks. One thing to keep in mind with the airbrushed hydrangeas is that the paint may rub off somewhat during shipping. Our natural colored hydrangeas can be purchased as either five inches in boxes of fifteen stems or nine-inch heads in boxes of six stems.
Wholesale Flowers has over fifteen years of experience in the floral industry. Plus, our location in Miami, Florida is perfect for growing and shipping the best flowers to you. You can rest assured that when you purchase from Wholesale Flowers you are only getting the best hydrangeas. Our company is large enough to handle any size order, but also small enough to ensure the quality of every hydrangea that leaves our facility.
Hydrangeas can make a bold statement in any wedding while also being a good cost-saving measure. Because of the number of choices, you can always find the hydrangea that will best fit the décor and theme of your wedding. Hydrangeas are not just good for bouquets or centerpieces. As this article has shown, there are a lot of ways to use the hydrangea in your wedding. Be creative, and you will love working with this versatile flower.
When you are ready to purchase hydrangeas for your wedding, contact Wholesale Flowers. We have the expertise and passion to ensure only the highest quality hydrangeas get shipped to you. If you want farm-grown, beautiful hydrangeas to use in your wedding, then call Wholesale Flowers today. We are ready and waiting for your call.